chevron background

Friday, September 7, 2012

Sunburst Mirror Tutorial

I hope everyone is well! I have been on the lookout for something to hang over our bed in the master bedroom for quite a while now. I love sunburst mirrors, but didn't really want to buy one. So I decided to make one myself, and I love the way it turned out!



So of course, I always start with my inspiration usually via Pinterest. 

via Pinterest


via Pinterest

Supplies:


Glue Gun
Glue Sticks
Wooden Plaque
Bamboo Skewers (100 pk)
Round Mirror (I used 6 in)
Spray Paint
Gorilla Glue
Compass
Mat Board
Picture Hanging Hook


I screwed the picture hanging hook into the back of the wooden plaque. This is how I hung it on the wall.


I used the compass to cut out a circle out of the mat board. This is what I used to glue the skewers to. The wooden plaque wasn't quite large enough. Just make sure this circle is smaller than your mirror. 


Then, I used the compass to draw circles on the mat board circle to help me know where to place the skewers. I wanted everything evenly placed, so I figured this would help me the best.


I wanted my skewers to be uneven all the way around. You can see in this picture, how I alternated them at different lengths on the circle.


As you can see, Clemson was a tremendous help with this project. I'm not sure I could have completed it without her.


This is what it looked like once I got all of the skewers glued on the mat board circle.


Next, I spray painted it. I used Oil Rubbed Bronze by Krylon...which let me go ahead and say, looks like black. So I later went back over it a little with some very dark brown spray paint that I had, giving it more of a oil rubbed bronze look.



Then I used Gorilla Glue to glue the wooden plaque onto the back of the mat board circle.


After that was dry, I glued the mirror to the other side of the mat board circle and skewers.


Once the glue dried, I cleaned the mirror and it was ready to be hung up!






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment