chevron background

Thursday, December 15, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas {Part 1: Trees}

I have really been slacking on my blog lately! I have actually been working, and it has been GREAT! Of course, then I come home and don't get anything done because I go to sleep early! haha I am already back to my old routine...I am definitely an early bird! So I got up this morning and have been editing all of my photos so that I can finally reveal all of my Christmas decor! I have been decorating since the day after Thanksgiving. It takes me a while to get everything done, especially with so much to do! Since there is so much, I decided to split my Christmas blogging into parts. Hope you enjoy!

So to start off, we will begin with the living room. A few years back, I was in Target after Christmas and noticed they had marked their Christmas stuff to 75% off. I decided to walk over to the trees because I know eventually we (me and Ben) will need a large Christmas tree for the living room. Boy was I shocked when I saw the perfect 7.5 ft tree for only $32 (reg. $129)!!! Of course, I don't have a buggy or anyone with me and there was a swarm of people around waiting to pounce on this tree if I didn't grab it! So being the big, strong woman that I am..ha!...I pick up this giant box and struggle to carry it through the store. I find a desolate place in the back of the store and hide my tree so I can run and get a buggy! So I end up getting my tree and boy is it beautiful! I have also been collecting the ornaments for a few years now. I bought everything for this tree after Christmas on clearance. So it was great to finally get to use this stuff! My mom came down after Thanksgiving to help me decorate! Let me just say, she is pretty much a professional at this! She needs to do this for money! So here it is...

The glowing tree
Pictures just don't do it justice!

 For this tree, I decided to make a tree skirt that I found on Pinterest. I used brown felt. I first cut out the skirt itself, then cut 300 flower petals. Then I hot glued all of the petals together to make flowers. I was going to sew them on but after about 3, I thought gluing would be faster. Yes, this took forever. Would I ever make one again? NO! Yet, it turned out beautiful and I love it!

Here is my inspiration via Pinterest

Here is mine! A lot prettier in person. Can you tell that I don't love how my camera takes pictures? For some reason brown felt doesn't photograph well. If you take a picture up close it looks like it is covered in lint. I covered some buttons and sewed them on and made loops to loop around the buttons.

 Next to the master bedroom. This tree was the tree that I had in my bedroom when I lived with my parents. It was originally brown and green, so this year I altered it to make it match the bedroom. I moved the brown ornaments to the living room tree and kept the green. I added some blue and white, changed the ribbon and here we are...




 I also made a tree skirt for this tree. I used a light blue, flat twin sheet from Wal-Mart. I cut out the circle for the skirt, then cut strips to make ruffles. I glued them down starting with the outside and then moving in.

On the left, I made the white, yarn balls using balloons and glue. (inspiration via Martha Stewart)  On the right, I found those cute owls at The Christmas Tree Shop for $1. I also filled those clear glass balls half way with snow. I spray painted other ornaments to make them the colors I needed.

 Another tree we have is my snowman tree. I have had this tree since I was in 6th grade. It has grown since then. I think it is about time to get a larger tree because you can barely find room to hang the ornaments. Maybe a white tree...



I also made the skirt for this tree using felt. It was very simple. I just cut white stripes and added them to the red. Then I sewed ribbon on to make ties.


I like the snowman on the top of the tree but something just seems to be missing. My mom and I decided he needed a red scarf. So I am currently knitting him a scarf to wrap around his neck.

We have one more tree. I decorated a little tree for Ben's office. It is a fishing tree. I used dark green ribbon with bobbers for balls. Then it has some different fishing ornaments. It is simple and manly. Sorry there isn't any pictures. I am currently not allowed in his office because he has my presents hid in there. I will post one later.

So this concludes my Christmas tree post! Now you can see why I am doing several Christmas posts!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment