chevron background

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Simple Updates

As I have been working on my living room, I have been updating a few things I already had to match the makeover. One of the first things I did was recover my bar stools. Here is a before and after from the first time I recovered them.


Here is a picture after recovering the seats for my new makeover.


Here is a quick tutorial.


First, I took the fabric off of the seats and used it as a pattern to cut out the new fabric.


Make sure you iron your fabric before this next step.


Next, you want to center the seat on your fabric. Then you are going to pull the fabric tight and staple it until all of the edges are flat. I stapled one side and then went directly across from it and stapled the other side Just do this all the way around.


Then screw the seat back into the bar stool and ta-da! Your bar stools are complete!

Another thing I have updated was my lamps. They originally looked like this.


I wanted white lamp shades so I used some shades I had bought a while back at Target on clearance.
This is what they looked like when I bought them.


They were made out of burlap. So I decided to paint them white.


It worked out well. I like the way they turned out.

Then I wanted to do something to the lamp. So I taped up the hardware and the cords and got out my spray paint.



I decided to paint them yellow. The only problem is finding the right color yellow. I painted the lamps with one yellow I already had and it looked too pastel. So then I got a bright yellow and painted them. They looked pretty good with the natural light coming in during the day, but when you turned on the incandescent lights at night, it looked pastel. They just still weren't what I wanted. So I went searching and finally found the color above. It pretty much is a school bus yellow. So under the incandescent lights at night it looks like a normal yellow. I never thought I would have that much trouble finding the right yellow. So here is what they looked like after they were finished.


Then there were some accessories that I moved around from different places or painted with the colors I am using.

I had bought this vase at Goodwill last summer and painted it orange to match the living room. I updated it by spraying it a light aqua blue.



Another thing I decided to update were my coasters.


I had these coasters and they just weren't working for me. I decided to paint them. I first sprayed them white.


Once they dried, I made stripes by taping them with masking tape.


I sprayed them gray and then peeled off the tape. I then sprayed them with a clear protective spray and they were finished.

Then I decided to make a holder for the coasters out of a candle holder that I already had.


I just spray painted it with the same gray paint from the coasters.


So with a little bit of spray paint {or for me, a lot of spray paint} and fabric you can make simple updates to really change the look of a room! Everything is coming along in the living room make-over slowly but surely! I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment