chevron background

Monday, October 8, 2012

DIY Painted Rug

I hope everyone is enjoying Fall! We had a little bit of cool weather for the first time today. Unfortunately, I think it is supposed to warm back up by the end of the week. 

I recently painted a rug for our kitchen. We had some brown and tan woven rugs in there, but they just weren't getting it for me. After washing them a few times, they started to look faded. I have also been trying to pull some color into the kitchen to tie it to the living room. So I decided a rug would be the perfect thing to add some color.

These were the rugs that we had in the kitchen.

I found this natural, flatwoven rug at Marshall's for $7. I decided this would be perfect to paint.


First, I made my own stencil. I took a piece of cardstock and cut a 6"x6" square out. The stencil that I was making was out of a 12"x12" piece of cardstock. I drew a quarter of the design on the 6"x6" square, so that it would be symmetrical.


I took the small square and cut out the design. Then, I took it and traced it onto the larger sheet of cardstock, flipping it as I move it around.


So this is what it looked like after it was traced completely.


Then I cut the design out, creating a stencil.


I used Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint in Straw to paint the rug. I rolled the paint on using a foam roller. Due to the porous nature of the natural fibers, it took a ton of paint. I think I used 4 bottles by the end.


After the rug dried, then I used a sponge brush to stencil on the design. 


Once I had the design on the rug, I went back over then entire rug with a small paint brush. I went around the design to make the image more clean. After the entire rug dried again, I painted a layer of Polycrylic over the rug to give it a protective finish.



I love the way it turned out! I think it added the perfect pop of color that I needed!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment