chevron background

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Everyday Shelf Decor

Finally, a reveal of one of my many projects that I have been working on!!! Since I have had my shelves, there has pretty much been a holiday every month to decorate them for. Finally we have reached an in-between time where they need to be decorated for everyday living. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have decided to change my color scheme in my living/dining room to aqua, yellow, and gray. So when I decorated my shelves, I went ahead with those colors in mind. Although the rest of the living room was still in the previous colors. Now, there isn't anything in the living room except the end tables and the coffee table. So we are good to go!


I bought a grapevine wreath at Michael's with a 40% off coupon. So I got it for $2.99! I sprayed it with some yellow spraypaint that I already had. Then I made the rosettes out of some gray felt that I also had. Tutorial found here. The white birdcage came from The Christmas Tree Shops. It was also $2.99. I had actually bought it a while back and wasn't sure what I was going to do with it.


For the M picture I bought an unfinished frame and painted it gray. Then I cover the back with a piece of burlap. The color of the burlap wasn't working for what I was trying to achieve, so I spray painted it gray. I also spray painted the M. I sprayed it a dark brown first and then with the blue. Once it dried, I sanded it in a few places to rough it up. 


 Here was my inspiration...

Found on Pinterest

Found on Pinterest
And here is mine!




 I found the little pots that are on the top shelf at Michael's for .79 each. They were clay pots and can you guess? I spray painted them! Ha! I obviously use a lot of spray paint. I feel like I say that in every sentence! I knew I wanted something to go in them, so I thought I would put some twine on a styrofoam ball and stick it in the top. But then a light bulb went off...why not use an actual light bulb?! When we moved in our house, we switched out most of the light bulbs to CFLs, so we have a whole box of light bulbs in the garage. Styrofoam balls can be kinda pricy or at least I think they are pricy for styrofoam and I love it when I can use something we already have. So I hot glued twine to the light bulb and then spray painted them blue.



I love the way they turned out! I can't wait to get my living room finished! 

Photobucket

1 comment: